Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is a degenerative and degenerative disease is a disease that affects the intervertebral discs neck. This disease is the most common pathology of the spine.
The symptoms of the disease
With the advance of the disease appear, the characteristic symptoms. They include the following events:
- The change of function of the organ of sight (the reduction of visual acuity, flickering flies before the eyes)
- Increased sensitivity to the hand
- Numbness in the hands
- Then the man can stop moving your hand
- Feeling of stiffness in the joints of the upper limb
- Crunch in the neck area
- Feeling of stiffness and pressure in the chest.
The causes of the disease
The main causative factors of degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine are the following:
- The small mobility of the neck, which leads to the fact that intervertebral discs lose fluid, this also leads to a loss of elasticity in the cartilage
- Exacerbated by heredity, which determines a reserve strength of the intervertebral disc
- Microfracture cervical spine with bends, slopes of the head, etc.
- Metabolic abnormalities, which affect negatively the state of the cartilage in the intervertebral disc.
Diagnostic research in osteochondrosis of the cervical spine includes the following studies:
- Computed tomography
- Nuclear magnetic resonance
- The electromyography (emg).
Each of these studies defined diagnostic information. The first three allow you to identify the changes directly in the spine, specific to the degenerative disc disease. The latest study, diagnose complications, degenerative disc disease, consisting in a loss to the nerves.
The x-ray examination takes place on several floors, and also running lookout photos for more precise details of characteristic changes. This research reveals calcification in ligamentous machine of the vertebral column at the intervertebral disks, the deformation of the cervical spine, etc.
Computerized tomography and nuclear magnetic resonance, allow to obtain more reliable information, therefore, it is recommended to apply in complex cases diagnostic.
Electromyography studies the conductivity of the nerve fiber, which is very often, when osteochondrosis of the cervical reduced. This is due to the fact that the reduction in height of the intervertebral discs are created the conditions for the compression of the nerve roots. Then and the onset of the clinical symptoms such as hypersensitivity, paresis, and paralysis.
The lack of a timely treatment of degenerative disease of the cervical disc can lead to the development of the following complications:
- Paralysis and paresis of the upper limb, with one or two sides
- Cerebral ischaemic stroke.
The treatment of the disease
The objectives that pursues the treatment of degenerative disc disease, are the following:
- Reduction of the severity of the pain
- Notice the progression of pathological changes.
To achieve these objectives, apply the following techniques:
- Takes place chiropractic
- Therapeutic exercise
In parallel is assigned to the:
- Chondroprotectors, which increases the resistance of the cartilage and allow it to recover
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, by reducing the intensity of the pain.
Unique methods of treatment
- Applied kinesiology
This is a method of diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the spine, joints and nervous system on the basis of muscle testing. The doctor, with the help of hands studies of tissues and organs.
- Treatment of leech
Together with a bite of leeches in the blood of a person receives about 100 biologically active components. This helps to purify the blood vessels, eliminates the formation of blood clots and prevents their formation.
Acupuncture helps in treating back pain, sciatica and other diseases of the spinal column and joints. Procedures relieve the pain and heals the body and strengthen the immune system.
In the group of risk, it is necessary to include the following categories of persons:
- With a family history of inheritance
- Having a background of pathological processes.
Preventive measures to prevent the degenerative disc disease of the spine, are the following:
- The correct posture when sitting
- The alternating load and relaxation
- The exclusion of transport weights (in this case it is better to give preference to a backpack)
- Adjust the passage of medical examinations by a neurologist and an orthopedic surgeon for early diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the cervical spine.
Diet and lifestyle
In the case of degenerative disc disease, you have to make some lifestyle changes. They are the following:
- Treatment of the bottom of the pathological process, which has led to the osteochondrosis, whether its reveal
- The exclusion of transport weights
- The normalization power – the rejection of fat, fried, spicy, salty, increase the content in the diet from plant fibres and products with chondroitin (gelatine, gelatin)
- Adequate rhythm of physical activity.